Sunday, August 07, 2005

Eryldene Camellias revisited


I did promise gardens! Those who know me also know too well that my great love in life is gardening. In a parallel career I have studied horticulture and garden design and owned a garden shop and landscaping business based in Darlinghurst during a white collar career interregnum in the late 1990's. I learnt my love for gardens at the elbow of my late grandmother Gladys Peterson (nee Farrar). Around 1980 we caught a train from Penrith to Gordon and walked to Eryldene to see the world reknown camellias of the late Professor E. G. Waterhouse.






I went back today after all these years to leave feeling the gardens were a little tired looking and the specimens stressed and lacking vigour. It could be the drought and old age or it could be from being loved to death by too many visitors traipsing around the place. None-the-less the architecture of Hardy Wilson and EG's love of China and his camellias stands the ravages of time.


And I bought myself a new cymbidium orchid from Swanes.
Highlights of winter - camellias, orchids and the powerful shapes of leafless trees. Back to politics and work tomorrow!










4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.